Skip to main content

Future Plan and Income Risk

First of all, I think the prompt for this week is very interesting. I don’t have a job lined up for when I graduated (I am graduating in December). However, my future plan is absolutely clear. Unlike most of other students in the class, being involved in a career associated with economics is not in my goal. Therefore, in the following parts, I will first talk about the kind of job/career I plan to pursue after graduation and its location. Secondly, I will talk about some of my efforts and decisions during college that contribute to my future job and income risk.

I am a dual degree student majoring in Kinesiology and Economics. I started following the pre-med path when I was a sophomore. Becoming a physician in sports medicine field is my dream ever since I was a teenager. Therefore, due to the specialty of my choice, I can only continue to stay in school (medical school) for another 4 years and pass the board exam before I actually jump in the “real world”. Compared to my other friends who get a job right after graduation, I will have a huge opportunity cost when I get out of medical school. For example, my roommate Kevin, who is majoring in CS, gets an offer from Bloomberg in New York with 140k/year. He will earn at least 560k when I graduate from medical school. However, I believe the opportunity cost can be recovered in the long term since physicians will typically have an average of 32k/year. The only thing matter here is that if I have the patience to keep walking on the road till become a licensed physician or not. As for locations of the job, usually I will stick with sports teams or stay in big hospitals in major cities. But the location doesn’t really have a huge impact on the salary.

Since I am graduating this December, I have already applied for different medical schools since August. So far, I completed interviews from UC Berkeley, UCLA, USC, NYU, and Northwestern. The final results will come out at around the end of the year. Looking back at my preparation, I think I tried a lot of things during college to make me become a better medical school candidate. I became a personal trainer at the ARC when I was in sophomore year. With this opportunity, I have built up my experience in communication with clients and responding to their reactions and needs immediately. Moreover, I have participated in 3 different research labs as undergraduate research assistants for over 3 years. In the labs, I help Professors and PHD students to complete their project. The topics of these projects vary from immunology to cancer cell mutation. Sometimes I have to go to Carle hospital and Davita Clinic to collect data from dialysis patients. These lab practices give me strong research background and offer me chances to choose whichever specific fields I want to get in to in the future. Last but not least, I spend over 180 hours in different hospitals and facilities shadowing doctors. All of the above reduce my future income risk as it increases my chances to get into a better medical school. As for now, my debt only limit to my car loans and house rent. I am lucky enough that my parents are capable to pay for my medical school tuition. Therefore, I firmly believe that the choices that I made will ensure that I will have a content life if I don’t quit in the middle.

   

Comments

  1. You have an interesting path. I can see Kinesiology as a preparation for medical school, though I wonder how off the beaten path that is. In any event, in 2012 I had rotator cuff surgery and the guy who did it was the main doctor for the U of I Football team. So I gather that sports medicine is a bid deal and your background sounds like it would place you well to study orthopedics.

    But, my sense is that most pre-med students do more traditional science disciplines. My brother, who is both and MD and a PhD, was a cell biology student as an undergrad. I will be interested in learning from you how you ultimately do in getting into medical school.

    With that story, the Econ part doesn't fit in my mental model. You might explain why Econ was part of your package. Do the medical schools care about that or not? I also think your have just my course ahead of you before you graduate kind of odd. So you might comment whether this was the plan or if you had previously planned to graduate last spring and then something got in the way to block that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Principle-Agent problem

The Principle-Agent problem means the motivation of one party (usually the agent) to act on behalf of another (the principal). Agency problems arise in a variety of different contexts, and arise when the incentives between the agent and the principal are not perfectly aligned and conflicts of interest arise. As a result the agent may be tempted to act in his or her own interest rather the principal’s. Conflicts of interest are almost inevitable. One of the famous example that pops out of my mind is the Enron scandal revealed in 2001, which eventually led to the bankruptcy of the Enron Corporation and the dissolution of Arthur Anderson. Enron's board of directors, many analysts believe, failed to carry out its regulatory role in the company and rejected its oversight responsibilities, causing the company to venture into illegal activity. Company leadership, including boards of directors and the executive team, does not necessarily have the same interests as shareholders. It is

Successful Team Working Experience

The successful team which I work with is actually the team that I am working with right now. I have a part time job at the APlus VIP Lounge at downtown Urbana. My position is shift leader and I think the team structure at APlus VIP Lounge confirm to the Simple Hierarchy team configurations. APlus VIP Lounge is a café/bar/KTV, people usually come and reserve their own private room (which can host around 10-15 people) and sing karaoke. The rate is calculated by hours. Aplus also provides alcohol services and café drink. On a busy night like Friday night and Saturday night, we will usually have 8 people on site. 1 manager, 1 shift leader (me), 1 bar tender, 4 waiters/waitress, 1 bus boy. In the textbook, simple hierarchy team configuration is described as the model that with a middle manager who reports to the boss and in turn supervises and communicates with others. In this case, the Aplus manager is the boss, and I am the “manager” in the middle. Before opening, I will ask the wa

Blog Post Reflection

When going over the previous blog posts that I have written, I think they do share some small themes or similarities. I have to admit that I didn’t do a good job in posting blogs as the class requirement due to my extremely busy medical school application and interview. However, I would still think of examples for those blogs that I missed and participated in the class discussion. I think the connections between my previous blogs are my personal experiences, and I really try to give details to readers so that they can understand what I am trying to express out of the text. For instance, in my blog post “Experience with Organizations and Transaction Costs”, I talked about my working experience as a shift leader at Aplus Karaoke. I didn’t expect most readers know the environment of a standard Karaoke business, but I am sure with my explanations of my trainings and duties, most readers will know what it is like to work in a busy and high pressure place. As for connecting what I wrot