Skip to main content

Team Production and Gift Exchange

I think the story that attracts me the most is sharing marbles. Michael Tomasello and Katharina Hanmann, two German developmental psychologists, set up an experiments with 3 years old children who can get marbles as rewards by pulling ropes on a machine. These children may be better off if they engage in gift exchanging and team work. The experiment has three different scenarios. The first one is that two children pull ropes together, but one of the children gets 3 marbles while the other can only get one. The result of this scenario shows that children will equalize their marbles around 75% of the time. The second scenario is that 2 children will receive marbles. However, one will have three times more marbles than the other one. The result of this scenario shows that the one with more marbles will not give off their rewards to the other one who has less marbles. The last scenario is that 2 children do not pull the ropes together to get marbles. Nonetheless, one will get 3 marbles for every pulling while the other can only get 1. In this case, the result shows that about 30% of children would choose to equalize their marbles. I believe the article overall want to use the example to show that procedural fairness is more important than distributive fairness in economics.

An example I can think of is me and my best friend Phil. When I came to the states at the beginning, I didn’t have a car. Phil, on the other hand, had one. We both loved road trip and hiking. Thus, I will usually take care of the itinerary and accommodation, and Phil would drive. In this case, Phil provided the transportation to exchange for a well-planed travel. I could also get a ride to the destination by doing the trip preparation. The situation changed when I bought a car on sophomore year, since we both had cars, we both were lazy to do the trip itinerary. This is similar to the second scenario in the experiment that I mention above. Another good example for this is definitely camping. I love going outdoor and hike through all kinds of national parks. Usually I will go with bunch of friends. When I get to our camping spot, some guys will do the tent sett-up, girls will usually cover the food and BBQ preparation. I think the team production and gift exchange in this case are we all do work that we are good at and share all resources as a team.


However, team production with gift exchange can be somehow unfair. Take group project as an example, in most of my experience of doing group projects, there will always be 1 or 2 free riders who do minimal work. But we all receive the same grade at the very end. Thus, as far as I am concern, individual work may be more efficient than team work in particular situation.      

Comments

  1. I wish you had spent some time discussing how you might overcome the free rider problem, rather than assume that outcome is inevitable. Some teams do function well. Other teams might be functioning poorly but then have a meeting to clear the air and perform better after that. What would have been interesting to write about is how the clearing the air meeting relates to the sharing the marbles piece. I was hoping for something like that in this post.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Principle-Agent problem

The Principle-Agent problem means the motivation of one party (usually the agent) to act on behalf of another (the principal). Agency problems arise in a variety of different contexts, and arise when the incentives between the agent and the principal are not perfectly aligned and conflicts of interest arise. As a result the agent may be tempted to act in his or her own interest rather the principal’s. Conflicts of interest are almost inevitable. One of the famous example that pops out of my mind is the Enron scandal revealed in 2001, which eventually led to the bankruptcy of the Enron Corporation and the dissolution of Arthur Anderson. Enron's board of directors, many analysts believe, failed to carry out its regulatory role in the company and rejected its oversight responsibilities, causing the company to venture into illegal activity. Company leadership, including boards of directors and the executive team, does not necessarily have the same interests as shareholders. It is

Blog Post Reflection

When going over the previous blog posts that I have written, I think they do share some small themes or similarities. I have to admit that I didn’t do a good job in posting blogs as the class requirement due to my extremely busy medical school application and interview. However, I would still think of examples for those blogs that I missed and participated in the class discussion. I think the connections between my previous blogs are my personal experiences, and I really try to give details to readers so that they can understand what I am trying to express out of the text. For instance, in my blog post “Experience with Organizations and Transaction Costs”, I talked about my working experience as a shift leader at Aplus Karaoke. I didn’t expect most readers know the environment of a standard Karaoke business, but I am sure with my explanations of my trainings and duties, most readers will know what it is like to work in a busy and high pressure place. As for connecting what I wrot